TORONTO (APRIL 18, 2016) – The Ontario Sports Hall of Fame is proud to recognize Brad Sinopoli as the 2015 Syl Apps Athlete of the Year. The online public vote to determine the award recipient concluded on March 31st, 2016 with Sinopoli edging out other top professional competitors such as Andre De Grasse, Brooke Henderson and Kadeisha Buchanan to win. He received nearly 30% of total votes cast.
Sinopoli will be recognized at the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame, 2016 Induction Ceremony & Awards Gala which will be held at the Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel (Grand Ballroom) on October 17, 2016.
With a breakout year, the Ottawa Redblacks’ star and the CFL’s 2015 Most Outstanding Canadian recorded career highs with 86 receptions, 1,035 receiving yards, and three touchdowns. His game on October 24th against Montreal was one to watch, with 120 receiving yards on eight catches.
The Syl Apps Athlete of the Year Award celebrates the contributions of top athletes in Ontario, and is awarded to the athlete who has made an outstanding and memorable contribution to Ontario sports during the previous calendar year. This year’s finalists included: Kadeisha Buchanan (Soccer), Andre De Grasse (Sprinter), Brooke Henderson (Golf), Kia Nurse (Basketball), Brad Sinopoli (Football), Joseph Votto (Baseball), Damian Warner (Decathlete), Andrew Wiggins (Basketball).
As part of our annual gala, the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame inducted six new members – the Class of 2016 – who will be honoured October 17, 2016 at the Sheraton Centre. The Class of 2016 includes: Sarah Burke (Freestyle Skiing), Ron Ellis (Hockey), Tony Fernandez (Baseball), Eric Lindros (Hockey), Leo Rautins (Basketball), and Chris Schultz (Football). The Special Award Winners include: Brad Sinopoli (Syl Apps Athlete of the Year Award), Peter Gilgan (Sandy Hawley Community Service Award), Bob Elliott (Brian Williams Media Award), University of Toronto Varsity football team, winning 1909 inaugural Grey Cup (Ferguson Jenkins Heritage Award), Frank Selke Sr. and Frank Selke Jr. (Bruce Prentice Legacy Award).
- Established in 1995, the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame is dedicated to honouring athletes and personalities with outstanding achievement in sports in Ontario, Canada.
- Unveiled on January 13, 1998, the Syl Apps Award is emblematic of Ontario’s Athlete of the Year.
- Finalists are nominated by members of the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame Board of Directors and Board of Advisors, a group of former athletes and sport administrators from across Ontario.
- To be eligible for the Award, athletes must be Ontario-born or Ontario-based and made an outstanding and memorable contribution to Ontario sports during the previous calendar year.
- There was a write-in option for respondents to suggest their own candidate for the 2015 Syl Apps Ontario Athlete of the Year award.
- Previous recipients of the Syl Apps Athlete of the Year Award include: Brooke Henderson (2015), Milos Raonic (2014, 2013), Rosie MacLennan (2012), Patrick Chan (2011), Joey Votto (2010), Daniel Nestor (2009), Eric Lamaze (2008), Damon Allen (2005), Adam Van Koeverden (2004), Mike Weir (2003, 2000, 1999), Steve Yzerman (2002), Vince Carter (2001), Roger Clemens (1997, 1998).
- Visit the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame website
- View photos from the 2015 Induction Ceremony & Awards Gala
- Watch a video recap of the 2015 Induction Ceremony & Awards Gala
- Follow us on the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame Facebook page
- Follow us on the Ontario Sports Hall of Fame Twitter page